For the first time in my life, I entered a year without any new year’s resolution. And that’s how most of my 2013 went on, I braved a year without any plans. I winged months of crazy, exciting, humbling and teaching experiences. It was a year of learning and self-discovery. As what my good friend said, it would be encapsulated by the word: “defining“.
Although continuing a crazy beautiful lifestyle would be the exciting road to take, I’ve been inspired by the photo above (kidding), actually, this article to create a three word life guide for my 2014. These three simple words would be my mantra, words that I would go back to when life gets a bit too crazy.
2013 was a year full of endless opportunities and I took each one face on, maybe a bit too eagerly. Perhaps this is why I often felt burnt out when I was too focused on being better. But since I’ve given myself a warm-up year and I feel like I’m already starting to get a hang of things, this 2014, I promise to imbibe the word respect towards…
- Myself — To know my limits and my capabilities. To be patient with myself. To know when to stop pushing when being better starts to lose its meaning.
- Time — To acknowledge that great things require patience. To constantly remind myself that every thing happens for a reason and that they happen at the right time. To enjoy every single minute in this life even if its not the way I expect it to be.
There were many instances in 2013 that I’ve felt so alone and closed-off. I realized towards the end that it was because of my own doing. In the process of getting through things, I’ve had so many conversations with people — those that I don’t know, I’ve just met, and I have not reconnected with in years. I’ve also had consistent conversations with my constants. With a shaky start towards the latter half of 2013 and a better sense of self-awareness, I hope to continue being open this 2014. Not just towards conversations but also to…
- Experiences — To brave each and every experience brought my way. May it be daunting, challenging or different.
- People — To enjoy company, may it be new or old. To learn from every single person. To see the beauty that they will bring in my life may it be permanent or fleeting.
- Feelings — To embrace every single emotion that comes my way. To not only acknowledge the feelings that I’ve kept shut for most of 2013 but to have the courage to act on them.
And when I thought I was so alone for the most of 2013, it has opened my eyes that for most of my life, I have been fixated on the romantic form of love. But now knowing better, I see how I am so blessed with love. And as a toast to 2014, I will muster every bit of love in my system towards my…
- Work. — To value all lessons learned and the good company that I enjoy in the office. To be grateful for a job that constantly challenges but rewards.
- Friends — To show consistent support in more ways than one, at times convenient or not. To be a listening ear, a kind adviser, a reassuring companion or a support system at life-changing moments. .
- Family — To cherish every moment. To be a good daughter. To be an exemplary elder sister.
- God — To learn patience, sacrifice and temperance towards His will. To believe that His plan is more beautiful that we can imagine.
- Myself. — To never doubt what I am capable of. To learn from past experiences. To constantly move forward and grow for the better.
I can’t believe I’ve made it through. I did not just survive 2013, but I actually ended the year on a high-note: alive, kicking, happy, enriched and more positive than ever! 2013 was nothing short of amazing and I believe that it was just a warm-up for great things to come this 2014.
CHEERS TO 2014!